NYS Dept of Ag & Mkts (NYSDAM) will be administering the new USDA-compliant hemp program. This first year of this new program, (2022), all hemp grown in NYS will need to be tested for total THC content prior to entering commerce. This new program does not allow hemp growers to sample their own hemp for THC compliance.
- Individuals must also pass a 20 question exam to be certified as a Sampler.
- Only certified individuals will be allowed to sample hemp in NYS.
- Certified Samplers will be listed on our website for hemp growers to contact as well as a list of all hemp growers for the samplers to contact.
- Samplers are free to charge the fee they require for sampling and mailing the hemp to the lab of the growers choice. NYSDAM will have a list of approved labs on the website as well. There is no fee to take the training or the exam.
- NYSDAM will need Certified Samplers all across the State.
Individuals to attend a short training, (60-90 minutes), (probably -online) on how to sample hemp for NYSDAM.
Samplers will set their own fees, hours, and geographic service area.
Certified samplers must be 21 years of age and pass a FBI Identity History Summary, (background check) as well. This is an easy and low cost process. The link to do so is: https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks
NYSDAM will work directly with anyone interested in becoming a Certified Sampler and am happy to answer any question potential applicants have. Contatc email and phone number are listed below.
Horticulture Inspector 2
NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets I Division of Plant Industry
10B Airline Drive, Albany, NY 12235